The Château’s history

Origins dating back
to the 17th century.

The Château’s history goes back to 1610, when Domaine de Moussas-Bages belonged to the Jehan family, who were wine merchants and owners of several estates. In 1728, Domaine de Moussas-Bages was purchased by the Drouillard family.

The Lynches arrive on the scene in 1748.

In 1748, Thomas Lynch inherited the Domaine through his wife, Elisabeth Drouillard, and renamed it Château Lynch. In 1779, Jean-Baptiste Lynch, who was the mayor of Bordeaux in 1808, a Count of the Empire in 1811, and then Peer of France in 1815, inherited the Château and entrusted its management to his brother, Michel Lynch, a knight and the mayor of Pauillac. When Jean-Baptiste Lynch died in 1835, Château Lynch was split into two estates. Château Lynch-Moussas (located at the place named Moussas) and Lynch-Bages (located at the place named Bages) thus came into existence. Château Lynch-Moussas kept the château building.

From 1847 to 1918:
the Spanish era
and the classification of the Château.

In 1847, Château Lynch-Moussas was purchased by the Vasquez, a Spanish wine merchant family. Subsequently, in 1855, Château Lynch-Moussas was classified as a 5th Grand Cru Classé du Médoc. The official 1855 classification of the wines of Bordeaux, organised by the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce, was set up on the occasion of the Paris Universal Exhibition at the request of Napoléon III. This classification only comprised the wines of the left bank of the river and included a “Vin Supérieur de Sauternes”, Château d’Yquem, and a Pessac-Léognan, Château Haut Brion. This classification continues to prove a guarantee of high quality to this day.

The acquisition of the Château by the Castéja family in 1919.

In 1919, Jean Castéja, the owner of Château Duhart-Milon (a 4th Grand Cru Classé in Pauillac), Château Pichon-Longueville Baron (a 2nd Grand Cru Classé in Pauillac), and Château Doisy-Védrines (a 2nd Grand Cru Classé in Sauternes and Barsac), added Château Lynch-Moussas to the family estates. At that time, the property covered over 250 hectares, 120 of which were made up of vines, woodland and pastureland. At the end of the 1960s, Jean Castéja’s sons (Pierre, Émile, Jean, and Édouard Castéja) decided to divide up the family’s assets.

From 1970 to the 2000s: the Château’s rise towards the summit.

In 1970, Émile Castéja (the husband of Denise Borie and father of Chantal Preben Hansen and Philippe Castéja) took over the reins of the Château, undertaking numerous works to overhaul the property. From a surface area that had fallen to less than ten hectares, Émile Castéja replanted the entirety of the vineyard and increased its size to 60 hectares. He modernised the Château, restoring this magnificent manor house to its former glory, and renovated the cellars to equip them with better winemaking facilities. The Château now gained renown for the high quality of its wines.

From the 2000s to the present day:
the modernisation of the Château and the birth of a Second Wine.

In the 2000s, Philippe Castéja took over the estate, adding impetus to the estate’s development and modernisation, and brought in Denis Dubourdieu and his team as wine consultants. For the 2001 vintage, Émile and Philippe Castéja launched the estate’s Second Wine, “Les Hauts de Lynch-Moussas”, produced from the estate’s youngest plots. On 21st June 2019, the Castéja family celebrated 100 years of having owned and run Château Lynch-Moussas. To mark the occasion, the Castéja family organised the 2019 Fête de la Fleur at Château Lynch-Moussas.

Since June 21, 2019, the Castéja family has owned and managed Château Lynch-Moussas for 100 years. On this occasion, the Castéja family organized the 2019 Flower Festival at Château Lynch-Moussas.